Monday, April 20, 2015

Art Journal - Play...

Good day, everyone! I'm getting caught up on my postings with another Mixed Media Monday share of a project in my small (5-1/2" x 8-1/2") Strathmore watercolor journal.

The first week of April, Tracy Scott posted about her limited supplies while on vacation. One of the supplies she did tote with her on vacation was her collection of Neocolor II watercolor crayons...and that got me realizing that I hadn't played with mine since I made this art journal spread and ended up muting and covering the crayons to get the pastel look I wanted that day!

So, out came my Neocolor II crayons, and off I went with a seldom-made freehand layout again inspired by Tracy's style.  I guess I still had Easter eggs on my mind while I drew, and this page ended up being named the "Easter Egg House" when it was all done...LOL...




I did the initial sketching using a medium black Faber Castell Pitt artist pen, then started coloring with my crayons and blending with water using various sizes of brushes, depending on the area and depth of color I was aiming for.(Because I was using watercolor paper this time, I didn't gesso the base page first.) Some of the circles and egg-shaped ovals on the side are freehand cut pieces of patterned papers collaged first, then edged with black pen, and finally painted with the crayons.




The next step was to go over some of the black outlines with a white Uni Posca paint pen. Then little polka dots were added here and there with both the black Pitt pen and a white UniBall Signo pen.

I reached into my tool box and used the end of one of my palette knives to make the larger white circles using some lightly thinned gesso, then scribbled around them with the UniPosca pen.




The words are scribbled here and there with the UniPosca pen...






Supplies:
Color Medium:  Caran d'Ache Neocolor II watercolor pastels - Golden Yellow,  Lemon Yellow,  Orange,  Flame Red, 
Purple Violet,  Ultramarine, Purple,  Cobalt Blue,  Periwinkle Blue,  Malachite Green,  Light Olive, 
Emerald Green, Salmon,  Black
Miscellaneous:   Faber Castell Pitt Artist Pen (black medium),  Uni Posca white paint pen, Uniball Signo white gel pen, white gesso, small patterned paper scraps



Thanks for visiting today...I hope your week is starting with a smile!

2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing, love the light and shading to create depth.. pretty colors too.. love this..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kathy,
    A good decision to play with your Neo Colour Crayons as this make is beautiful.
    Smiles:)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment - I appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...