Thursday, April 23, 2015

Color Challenge All Occasion...

It's been too long since I participated in a blog challenge, and when I saw this month's color challenge at Lindy's Stamp Gang I knew it was the perfect one to break me out of the "pastel" streak that I've been on with cards lately.

So put on your sunglasses, 'cause today's card is a fully-loaded explosion of color! :)




Here's the beautiful colorboard that got me inspired and ready to break out of my pastel mood...




I was in the mood to play and create my own background paper, so I began with a piece of mixed media paper, and pulled out my LSG Magicals. I used Pink Ladies Pink and Summer Lovin' Sun from the Beauty School Dropout set, and Tilt-a-Wheel Teal from the Under the Boardwalk set to watercolor the three colors onto the paper (you can see I played with adding sea salt to the paints while they were wet for a fun texture, but it was covered with stenciled modeling paste in the end)...



Then I added some modeling paste through a stencil for a pretty overall pattern...




And that's when I thought it was still too pastel-y (a made-up word, I know, but you know what I mean, right?), so I went back with more of the Magicals and deepened the colors to the intensity I was looking for...




I backed this piece with cream, purple and blue solid papers before adding them to the card base...I wanted to play with shabby-ing up the edges and wanted color there, too. Then it was time to add embellishments, and I decided to keep all the embellishments neutral except for a center flower and a few tiny touches of dyed cheesecloth peeking out here and there.

Here are some detail photos...



This center flower is made using Spellbinders' Rose Creations dies, cut from white cardstock colored with Lindy's Stamp Gang Sprays - Sweet Violet Purple Teal and Tea Pot Purple.  I had a couple pretty aqua Prima leaves in my stash, so I dipped the edges in some of the Sweet Violet Purple Teal sprayed onto my craft sheet...you can really see both the teal and purple on these leaf edges!






The frame nestled down under the flowers is made with white air-dry clay and a Martha Stewart silicone mold. Once the clay dried and cured (overnight), it was colored with Hematite and Old Silver Inka Gold metal paints...


Supplies:
Color Mediums:  Lindys Stamp Gang Magicals:  Pink Ladies Pink,  Summer Lovin' Sun,  Tilt-a-Wheel Teal
Lindys Stamp Gang sprays:  Tea Pot Purple,  Sweet Violet Purple Teal
Dies:   Spellbinders "Rose Creations";  Sizzix "Flowers Branches & Leaves";   Cottage Cutz  "Tea Time Doily"
Stencil:   Prima "Flourish"            Frame:   Martha Stewart (silicone mold)            Leaves:   Prima
Small Cream Flowers:   Wild Orchid Crafts            Stamens:   ChocolateLetters on Etsy            
Pearls:   Recollections            Lace:   TheFunkieJunkie.com            
Miscellaneous:   air dry clay,   Viva Inka Gold metal paints,   twine,   cheesecloth,   Golden modeling paste


Thanks for visiting today!

10 comments:

  1. This is a great piece of art work. So beautiful colors and layering.
    Hugs Elfi

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is magnificent! The colors are spectacular and I love the double matting in teal and purple which brings all the colors together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely piece of work all the colours just melt together with all your matting and layering and your flowers just look amazing.
    jules

    ReplyDelete
  4. colorful ! and very interesting to see your creativ process with photos ! Thank you for joining us with the Lindy's Stamp Gang challenge !

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGosh Kathy! Wowwwwwww! The vibrant colors makes me feel "alive"!!! It wakes me up and puts a skip in my step! Looooove all of your details .. truly you are AMAZING dear! Absolutely GORGEOUS like always!!! sigh ... love!

    Wishing you a lovely weekend my sweet friend!

    Big Hugs,
    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your explosion of color is absolutely delish!! I love the way you used the colors!! Your card is simply delightful!! Thank you for joining us at Lindys for the Color Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooooh, adorable!!!! What a beautiful card!!!! Colors are just perfect <3 Thank You for playing with us at Lindy's Stamp Gang this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow amazing work! I love the background and the colors! Thank you for joining our challenge at Lindy's Stamp Gang!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your card is stunning! Love the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a beautiful card ! Wonderful colour mix and mixed media background is fantastic. Absolutely love it :) Thank you so much for sharing your art make with us. Many thanks for taking part in our challenge at Lindy's Stamp Gang. Best of luck, love Marta xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment - I appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...